Monday 17 September 2012

The road less travelled....not taking the easy route


South Morocco at a deserted beach.
So well what’s new? Erm….the question really would be better phrased to ask what’s not!

I have relocated to a beautiful Village in North Wales full of nature , wildlife, forests, herbalists, holistic therapists, a place where lay lines cross and magic happens!

In my endeavours to constantly evolve and learn I felt the time was right to move to the next stage of my life that brings me closer to my loves: plants, animals and nature, and to leave behind some things I had felt were beginning to drain my energy (which is usually boundless!)

So I took myself off to Morocco travelling, meeting monkeys, swimming with frogs and turtles, offroad moppedding, holding goats, eating homemade food and things straight off trees and out of udders! And then, sat by the shores of the Atlantic at my friend’s beach house hotel everything kind of shook itself out in my little brain. And I knew a few things lately had been so evidently pointing me to what I was supposed to do next.

So I did it! I drove to Wales the day after I got home and I found a house to move to.

I have bought a canoe to explore my planet earth free from the constraints of when the hire shop is open, to see my planet earth from a different perspective & to be free to be around nature whenever I choose (canoe licence permitting that is!)

When I come home on rainy nights or dark nights there are chimneys smoking and it smells amazing, when I come home on light nights I walk by the river, canoe or eat the fresh organic veg that my neighbour passes me (after I’ve rescued all the slugs and little fellows in it!)

The rabbits love their new house and I have renamed them the welsh rarebits! My only sadness is that Darcy didn’t make it through to move with us and I had always envisioned her with us in any move. Darcy was my 3rd rabbit I inherited in December, I tried everything and hundreds of pounds but just couldn’t save her. She is buried in the vicarage garden and we have a little grey rabbit statue to remind us of her. I knew the day she would day die as (I’ve no told anyone this ) I sat and cried my heart out late at night the day before she died, as she licked me whilst she was clearly very ill and so I licked her back to comfort her. It might sound mental but I wanted to show her in rabbit language that I loved her immensely and had tried my best. My housemate, Kurt, was really good about it as she had had renal disease she’d weed on the carpet from inside and out of the cardboard fortress I bought her! And he turned out to have taken some great photos of her which I really loved and which brought a smile to my face.

“I am the wind that blows, I am the grass that grows, I am every living thing”.

That applies as much to me and you as it does to my Darcy. And that comes back to Little Satsuma and what it’s all about. Damage you to the environment, our planet and animals is damage to yourself. Once you begin to understand that we are merely separated in forms by the presence of electrons and so forth then you begin to realise this and also, amazingly, lose your fear of lots of things.

So what next…expanding the range, supporting more charities, carrying on supporting Kalaweit radio & sanctuary, moving somewhere bigger to get goats and rescue chickens. I have read a book on Goats now and am rather excited – my how my Friday evenings have changed!

Sometimes we get where we want to be not by taking the easy route, it’s tough to make big change, but no great change ever happened without upheaval, no country changed in history significantly without a revolution. These last few months have been my own personal mini revolution, a rollercoaster of emotions and choices and I’m beginning to enjoy the view on the other side as I move into the life I always wanted. I’m full of motivation for Little Satsuma, I have an interview to be a volunteer regional speaker for the Dr Hadwen Trust, I’m off to Warsaw in November and am off travelling for a month next March/ April to India and Indonesia and so it’s full steam ahead here now.

Every day whilst you are free and safe from harm you must live it to the full and always say thankyou for what you see before you and around you.











1 comment:

Sue Doran said...

Sorry to hear about Darcy. What a moving tribute, I have added "I am the wind that blows, I am the grass that grows, I am every living thing" to my list of favourite quotations. Good luck with the new life in Wales.