Wednesday 16 November 2011

Up on the roof.....the biggest clockface in UK :)

As I'm typing this my rabbit, TJ, is sat on my feet, he's come to see what I'm doing. He even managed to communicate to me he wanted more hay on Monday morning - he's very clever.

Anyway so the Liver Building was 1000 years old in July, and John William's from Royal Liver kindly agreed, as we work in there, to give us a tour....ooh it was great. We found out how the atrium was the old booking hall for the Canadian liners taking people to emigrate, we saw the commemorations to the men who had given their lives in the Wars, we went up on the roof, into the clockworks room and way way up the spiral steps into the towers where the clocks are and where the birds sit atop.

My legs were wobbling with fear at the very top, the views were amazing and John was very interesting. We also got to see the original boardroom that is untouched since it was built...It was full of ornate carvings, the seats had liver birds on them, there was gold leaf ceiling. It even had this little desk that they used to use to call the various secretaries/ tea ladies/ minute takers etc!!!

A true gem of a piece of history....and did you know there is a third liver bird hidden away in Liverpool watching over us??

Amazing to think it was built on an old dock hey! There are some great ghost stories I've been told about both the Liver and the Cunard Buildings but I shall save them for anoother day...x

Oh and we collected around £50 in donations, which was matched by DB so it raised £100 for Alder hey children's hospital. Good stuff chaps x

2 comments:

Jane H said...

oops I mean 100 years old!! :)

Sierra said...

I've always wanted a tour in Liverpool. I can just imagine the views from that towering building. Oooh, I'll definitely look for those ghost stories.

-Sierra Nordgren