Sunday 7 October 2012

The lie-in, the witch (that's me) and the welsh wardrobe

Well, what a bizarre day. a beautiful day in which, without boarding  a plane I have travelled around Canada and Scottish Lochs.

I had called Dave yesterday who runs the boathouse at the lake, said I'd ring about 10.30am today to check they were there (I called late..that's the lie in bit!). I set off (forgetting an all important towel to dry off...this aspect of oubliation was not discovered until I had jumped in the lake at the end of my canoe trip, out the back of the boathouse), I got lost and I swear I somehow drove through a secret wardrobe and into Canada or a far northerly scottish loch.

My and my little ford KA ended up on a very narrow road up a VERY steep hill/ mountain and then found a little sign post for the lake, that then sent us down a track through some moorland, the track/ road was basically just about wide enough for my (old) bat mobile and which had lots of sheep pottering about on it.

As the lake came into view I actually said out loud 'What an absoloutely amazing place', because I couldn't believe I had never been before.....just stunning autumn sun drenched roads with over hanging trees and birds singing and waterfalls at the side of the road.

I was expecting Aslan to appear out of the bushes or Dorothy & the tin man to saunter past - it is like driving into a fairytale/ a film set/ a place dreams are made of.

The canoeing was immense, at one with mother nature, watching birds soar and swoop and bubbles from fish pop up on the surface. I saved a few of these biggish winged insects from death by drowning (but slightly freaked when I realised they would be onboard my mini insect noah's ark for the rest of the trip!) and we sailed back to shore with a wasp I'd plucked from the lake who was drowning, perched on the front like a mascot - I safely lifted him to shore onto a dry leaf and he seemed ok. I waived his foot passenger fee too as he had no spare change.

"Can I jump in?" I asked. to be fair I think they thought I was slightly crackers, but they let me jump in from the boat house back door. The water was chilly but felt amazing.... I like to think it knocks years off my boat race (face for you non-cockneys).

And so I dried off with a towel - not a clue who's it was, had a peek at the RSPB place (one for closer visit/ attention on next trip), peeked at the dam and stopped to look at the Corporation of Liverpool HUGE plaques at the side of the dam - because this dam gives Liverpool all its tap water. The tower in the photo filters out leaves and other stuff...and until a few years ago it literally flowed straight to the taps of Liverpool. So for those of you in Liverpool tonight brushing your teeth before bed - I was swimming in that a few hours ago - but don't worry....I didn't wee :))))) sorry couldnt resist.

I made my way back to Llangollen by luck rather than by navigation skills. Wetsuit & lifejacket drying in the bathroom, tea eaten and now for a film with the bunnies :)



No comments: