Thursday 25 October 2012

The man who walked the long walk to freedom

I was thinking about Nelson Mandela today, I've not a clue why today particularly, but thinking how amazing it is to ponder what one human being can go through and do in their life. That it only takes one person like him to bring great change. And what made him different than someone else. One day he is a prisoner of Apartheid, the next he is ruling a Nation. How one human can sacrifice their life for standing up to the injustice served upon their fellow countrymen makes me wonder about the human capacity for selflessness...in a world that is currently rather commercial and rather greedy. Aung San Suu Kyi is another.

I found some words of wisdom from Nelson Mandela, and I'm jotting them down as much so I can read them again at my own leisure as I am for anyone else! I know,from the stats, that some people do read this blog and the number is growing...so clearly someone finds my waffle of interest (or some interest):

“There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right".

No comments: