Sunday 11 September 2011

Goths, Ghosts & Vampires on the fundraising trail :) April 2010



When Laura and I were trying to raise a minimum of £1600 for Sumatran Orangutan Society (in memory of their founder Lucy Wisdom who had died of Breast Cancer in the previous December) and £500 for Breast Cancer Care, I have to say we had to pull everything out the bag to get there.....one of our more creative was to do our own ghost tour of Liverpool. With help from Nico and Trevor, who can often be seen at Mello Mello and the Kazimier, and a heap of Tom Slemen books that my mum had won at some raffle somewhere, a ghost trail in the Liverpool Georgian quarter was created and it led us all the way though the night into the Cathedral gardens.

Now we had a great night, and we raised a good amount of money, in fact it was such a good mix of humour and 'scariness' I have recently been asked to run another one. I actually like to think it was down to the secret special effort I made on the night. Now I know that I am over 30 and should be more grown up, but I secretly gathered a costume and make up and on the night ( we congregated at the ye Cracke pub) I sneaked off to the toilets and turned myself into a vampire goth. The faces of the whole pub when I emerged were just priceless.

After the ghost tour I actually went out with friends to the Kazimier, still dressed as a goth vampire tour guide, with black cape and geisha face, to watch a hip hop/ skater punk brass band 'La Brass Banda from Bavaria' and I had an amazing time, they are just so full of beans you cannot believe it. And it's such an exciting place to be as it attracts so many creatives and interesting people - not one person batted an eyelid that I was dressed so bizarrely!!

No comments: