Thursday 29 September 2011

Happy 18th...mile :)


Last Sunday, well in fact the one before (18th September) i set out with my co-pilot Gill Torres on our biggest running test so far..18 miles from not far off Liverpool city centre to Liverpool airport and back.

The highlight humour-wise was me running into MacDonalds (havent been in one for decades) in full runninge gear, a belt full of running gels and the whole place just starred at me from behind their big macs; i felt like an utter idiot but I was glad for the bottle of water (and the wee!).

The biggest thing to spur me on was meeting James and John along Menlove Avenue (where John lennon lived) - from a distance I realised it was them as James taps his dad on the shoulder whilst running because James is blind. And he is running Liverpool marathon - it will be his 41st marathon. And his Dad is 73 and looking great on it. He doesn't run with a tether like other blind runners, he runs behind his dad and taps his shoulder. So we had a really good natter and found out we are all in the same starting pen on Oct 9th for Liverpool marathon.

They overtook me a few years ago in the Liverpool Half marathon and I remember being in awe of James then. And so as we went our separate running ways I had a spring in my step I hadn't had before as the two of them are a total inspiration and I can't wait to meet them again on the big day.

Here is an article about the pair of them in the Liverpool Daily Post:

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2011/09/03/inspirational-blind-runner-to-run-liverpool-marathon-his-41st-26-miler-alongside-his-73-year-old-dad-100252-29353404/

No comments: